[RC] Biltmore - NdurN

A quick ride story and a Big thank you.

I left home too early to get the message from Anne that the 50 was cancelled so had to decide whether to stay and elevate to the 100 or go home and miss all the 'fun".

Took a short ride and except for spooking at every rock, hay rack, horse, manhole cover etc.  Dru was sound and ready so decided to try the 100.  I have not done one since 1995 because of some health problems and still didn't know if I was capable..no worries about the horse.

After the rains quit and the river dropped a bit, weather worries were gone and the day ended up almost too warm, which is not unusual for Biltmore.

Started off with a "maniac" as usual but rode up behind Stagg and Super and suddenly Dru liked the trip behind them so after assuring Stagg I would not let my horse get too close , we had a nice trip  for a few miles until first big climb when I insisted on a walk and lost contact with the group.  Finally came to the 2nd water trough and stopped to make Dru at least put his head in.  Stagg was just leaving and Dru went....there's my buddy.  Off to the trail and "slow down you idiot " and more impolite words and boom Dru's feet went every which way on a muddy bank, he almost went down enough to pitch me off his left side, then saved hisself and stood looking at me laying on the ground...whining a bit.  Seems I fell with my arm under my left boob and I have enough of that to protect my ribs but it hurt a bunch.  I knew there would be no more riding for me that day.  Lynn Gilbert, Gail Zack and another lady with a red jacket,,stopped and refused to go on until I made it to my feet and help arrived in a car.  They were doing demonstration rides and I didn't want them to mess up their ride for my goof.  Also Gail had her cell phone which is the reason help was there immediately.
Dru and I returned to camp in a truck and trailer and spent the rest of the day and evening watching from a lawn chair...couldn't even do much crewing for others but hubby jumped in and helped everyone.
Lynn did finish well and Gail had the misfortune of being pulled late in the event.  They are true ENDURANCE rides IMO and I thank them again for their help as well as the lady whose name I never did find out.
Other riders who arrived on the scene also offered to do anything but these 3 were first there and really helped.
"what goes around, comes around," so I am sure something wonderful will happen to reward them more than my thanks can.

Susan K