Re: [RC] [RC] EnduraMax vs. Summer Games Electrolytes - Truman Prevatt

That's why you don't want to use electrolytes with bicarbs in them for an endurance horse. I've never checked the Summer Games so I don't know if it has bicarbs or not.

But you are right. If I'm going to change electrolytes I call my biochemist friend and run them by her. I think all the ones Karen C has on her site are pretty good, however.

Truman

Rides 2 Far wrote:
I think "Summer Games" were developed for race horses, eventing >

horses, > etc. - those that do a lot of anerobic exercise. EnduraMax was

forumlated for endurance exercise.

I went to a seminar at UT a long time ago and they had a list of the
different athletic events and whether the horse became acidic or
alkaline. As I recall, endurance horses became alkaline, and practically
everyone else became acidic (3 day eventing, racing, harness racing).
That's why it irritates me when the catalogs put "to replace electrolytes
lost in the equine athlete". Which ones?  I figure if they don't know
enough to tell me, they don't know enough to be in charge of my horse's
life. Wouldn't treating an alkaline horse with electrolytes geared
towards an acidic one be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline?

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!