Re: [RC] Jennings Boogie - Howard Bramhall

Well, what can I say?  There is a country song that kind of reminds me of
how I'm feeling lately.  I forget the title, but some of the lyrics include,
"It's hard to be humble.."  lol.

But, I must realize it's not me, it's the horse, of course.  So, with that
in mind, I've gone to the Ridecamp archives and retrieved a few comments on,
what is now, my favorite part of endurance.  The honor of receiving a Best
Conditioned Award.  And, yes, I did cry at the awards at Jennings Boogie.  I
guess I'll never be manly enough to be considered a true endurance rider in
some folk's eyes.

Anyway, what I did want to say at Jennings, but was unable to do so (that's
a first, Howard) is this:  "The name of my horse is American Spirit.  He
really is quite awesome!  I named him that for two reasons.  ONe, is in
honor of our troops, overseas, serving and risking their lives during a
critical phase of American history, so that we Americans can continue to
live "free."

The other reason is the phrase "American Spirit," to me, epitomizes the very
idea of endurance riding in America.  Every aspect of this sport reflects on
how unbelievably free and independent we, as Americans, are, now, in our
past, and, with the grace of GOD, in the troubled times to come.  I love
this sport, my horse, and this country more than I can try to put into
words.  Sometimes, it's all a bit too much for me.  This is one of those
times.  American Spirit's BC Award will sit next to my American Flag that is
folded inside a glass case, which flew over the White House, that the Air
Force gave to me when I retired.  My wife thinks the statue of the Pony
Express rider is quite appropriate; she believes I was one of those riders
in a prior life.  haha.

cya,
Howard

In a message dated 4/19/00 1:21:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tobytrot@xxxxxxxxxxx writes: << Tammy said: "If they ride a good ride and
win BC and take care of the horse then, I would let them keep the award."
Which brings up an interesting point--how much of a winning "BC performance"
is due to prior conditioning, and how is due to the skill of the rider/crew
on that particular ride day? >> I guess I wouldn't care. If the rider didn't
take good care of the horse, then all would be up in smoke. Crews only see
the horse for a few minutes at a time. No matter what condition the horse
was in, still the rider has the control. I would be so happy about one of my
riders winning a BC on my horse, I would add to the award, not take away.
You agree? Tammy Robinson Trail-Rite Ranch & Products 661/513-9269

------------

Kristi iluvdez@xxxxxxxxx > The Oct 2000 issue of DVM has an article on
endurance riding, > written by Dr. Kenneth Marcella, DVM. I particularly
enjoyed > his quote on the BC award: "The horse and rider who win BC > have
essentially negotiated the demands of the trail with the > horse willing to
give its all and the rider keeping it from > giving everything
-------------

As I am still fairly new to this sport, can someone please explain 'Best
Condition'
for me?   The criteria...how you qualify...what steps to take at a ride if
you
think you qualify...is it different for different distances, horses, etc.
Thanks!
Tracy

Terry Woolley Howe (cancer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 20:17:47 -0700
I am satisfied with the way the best condition judging is handled, with
the exception of I think there should be more credit given to horses
carrying more weight. I think the formula should be 1 point per pound,
rather than a half point.

Lif Strand <fasterhorses@xxxxxxxxxxx
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:42:50 -0400
I really think that BC should get more glory - but how? Seems to me >that
there's another thing you can count on in our culture - that is, >where the
money is, glory will follow. For some time now I've chewed on >the idea of
somehow pouring money into a BC fund, to finance awards for >BC winners,
certainly at the national level, hopefully at the regional >level, and maybe
even broader scoped than that. It would be one thing >that could be done to
really egg on competition but not at the horse's >expense! Horses won't die
or suffer for this award! It would improve >our sport in a way that other
National Championships can't.