[RC] Horse for Lease (Maybe) - Bonnie Davis

Need some input from your guys......

Since my husband's stroke last March, his horse, Bud, has just been standing around.  I have a guy riding him two days a week and Bud is in shape.  The only 'problem' with Bud -- he loves to trot.  He has that long, fast ground covering trot and will go all day.  Ears up, looking to see what's happening.  Bud will not spook.  Have had turkeys, deer, even a bob cat pop out on the trail in front of him and he just keeps going.  Bud is Quarter/Morgan, short coupled, long legged (I have to roll his back toes to keep him from slicing the bulbs on his front feet), 15.1-15.2, about 1000-1100 pounds, easy to saddle, puts head down to bridle, stands for mounting (on the ground or mounting block) and when in the saddle ready to go -- Bud isn't nutty, he's easily controllable but he wants to trot!  And he wants to be in the front -- on a trail ride, going up hill, etc.

I've had a guy riding him two days a week just to keep minimum muscle tone up.  I've been lunging him with full tack for 45-50 minutes per day in an outside arena.  He hardly breaks a sweat.  When done, he's ready to go for more.

I don't ride Bud because of a bad knee and, well, for sentimenal reasons.  He's my husband's horse and Den won't ride anymore because of permanent brain stem damage.  And Bud and I don't exactly get along -- I want him to walk, he wants to trot.  With Den, he'd walk.  With me, Bud trots.

Bud is boarded in hills above Milpitas, California.  90% of the land is up or down hill.  10% flat.  I sort of was thinking, maybe, could be, possibly of leasing Bud out to a person who wants to get in shape for endurance riding.  He'd stay at the Diamond W (box stall and paddock) and I just want board bill for riding -- $230/month (night lighted indoor arena, 250 miles of trails, no trailering needed, two outdoor round pens, outdoor arena, etc.)  Plus Bud's stall mate, Sig, is at barn and don't want to part them.  I suppose everyone has a horse but maybe there's someone out there who needs a horse to ride to keep in shape while looking for a horse.  So, I need to get some ideas from you guys as to what you think of that.

If you want to see a picture of Bud, go to www.twohorseenterprises.com.  Bud is the dark sorrel on the right in picture on highline and that I'm holding in other picture.  (The other horse is Sig.)

Bonnie Davis