[RC] More Biltmore - Ed Roley

I stopped by Biltmore after work to see what things looked like. For those of you familiar with it you'll know what I am talking about. Driving down from the barns to the river the road had water on it right before you get to the road running parallel to the river. The paddocks to the left were all under water and so was the road on that side. To the right(direction of ridecamp) the paddocks were 1/2 covered with water. Driving along the road was eerie as the French Broad was raging just a few feet to my left and at the edge of the road. At the camping area of the pasture there were about a dozen rigs. There did not appear to be standing water in this area but the field appeared pretty soggy. I talked with Anne Ayala there. She said all the rigs were staying hooked up in case they had to move to higher ground. The Estate ranger was going to make hourly checks through the night to warn of rising water as apparently the river was supposed to crest 6" higher(by appearances that would put it over the road) sometime tonight and there was a possibility of more rain tonight. I felt bad for Anne as she had a lot on her mind. She talked about having to re-route some trail as several sections of the trail run along the river. The forecast for the rest of the week is improving and I think it is going to actually be a nice weekend for riding. Hopefully the river will drop enough so the trail won't have to be changed. Thought some of you might be interested in hearing about this. I'm still bummed out about not being able to ride but that is the way the cookie crumbles.
Ed Roley