[RC] Arab-Pony dieting - Jerry & Susan Milam

I have a great little half arab pony mix mare who has a lot of trouble with her weight. She actually lost weight this past winter and has gained it and more weight back this spring. She probably needs to lose 100-200 lbs. After my 13 yo gets out of school, she will be able to train with me more to exercise her but even then I don't think that exercise will be enough. We have no withers right now to hold saddles on very well.

It may be that we need to keep her dry lotted during the richest grass season and let her pasture with the herd during winter of the year. We've had her for about three seasons now I believe, right Teresa? Anyway, she is a great pony and I believe she has potential at least in LD for my daughter.

Susan Garlinghouse and others out there please advise about what would be best for this mare. She is also boss of our 6 horse herd. I'm concerned that if we decide that dry lotting her is the best course to take, then will that bind the herd to her near the drylot and cause them to not roam our 21 acres of lush pasture and only eat on our first 5 acres near the drylot? Anyone care to give me some educated guesses? The issues with drylotting are many I imagine including much more care in the nutrition arena than I'm used to giving anymore. What kind of suppliments do I need to be giving her should we decide drylotting is the best way to go? I have about 40 bales of great grass hay to sart off with. How much do I give her and what else?

In His Hands,

Susan,

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    -Gandalf the Grey from Lord of the Rings

                            (In Light of Eternity)