Re: [RC] Horse Journal feed advice - Susan Garlinghouse

  The Horse Journal had a note in this month's
issue that discusses feeds, <snip>  They recommend a little rice
bran to even out the Ca:P of the alfalfa being fed (after first
recommeding
it would be better to switch to grass :-)) then state that  "beet pulp has
Ca profile similar to alfalfa's".  Message being that even though it's
good
to feed, BP won't help equilibrate the Ca:P ration like the rice bran
will.  Is that correct?

No, and it's a sad statement that that level of inaccurate info is being
published as good advice.  Sigh.

Okay, the thing about calcium-phosphorus ratio is a one-way road.  The ideal
ratio is between 1.2 - 2 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus, and if your
diet provides more phosphorus than calcium, it's considered
inverted---example, a diet that provides 1 gram of calcium and 2 grams of
phosphorus has a ca-p ratio of .5, which is no good and needs correcting
through the addition of either more calcium, or less phosphorus.  If you
don't then the shortfall in calcium is 'deducted' from bone storage and over
time, can cause an assortment of metabolic and lameness problems.

The critical idea here is just to make sure that the diet supplies more
calcium than phosphorus, and THAT'S the one-way road.  As long as the ratio
is not inverted, and as long as the daily requirement of phosphorus is being
met, you do NOT need to "correct" a high calcium-phosphorus ratio by adding
more phosphorus.  And that's what was being recommended here---the alfalfa
is a high calcium feed source, on the low side of adequate in phosphorus
content and, fed by itself, provides a ca-p ratio of usually around 5-6 to
1.  Not ideal for endurance horses IMO, but really not a big deal most of
the time.  If fed as the sole forage, it would provides roughly 665 g of
calcium and 161 g of phosphorus per day.  Both *well* in excess of daily
requirements.

So what's the point of adding more phosphorus?  There isn't one---excess
phosphorus in the diet suppresses absorption of calcium, but the reverse is
NOT true.  Excess calcium in the diet doesn't suppress phosphorus, at least
not to an appreciable degree that needs correcting.  There's absolutely no
value to adding more phosphorus to an already adequate ration just to make
the ca:p ratio look better (falsely so).  In fact, there's more worthwhile
argument that adding additional phosphorus is a POOR choice---at least in
the Southwest, enteroliths (gut stones) are common enough to be worth paying
attention to, and the minerals those rocks are comprised of are ammonium,
magnesium and phosphorus.  The ammonium comes from the high protein content
of alfalfa, the magnesium also comes from Southwest-grown alfalfa and now,
GREAT---you just added excess phosphorus into the gut to help those
enteroliths form.

Who exactly *WROTE* this advice for the Horse Journal???? <sound of head
banging against wall>.

So, just to round out the mistakes in this article, no, beet pulp doesn't
have a calcium profile similar to alfalfa's, EXCEPT that beet pulp does have
a vaguely similar calcium-phosphorus ratio.  Very misleading to say they're
similar, because alfalfa provides roughly twice the amount of both calcium
and phosphorus per measure as does beet pulp.    The ratios are the same in
both feeds, but that's it.  It's like saying that because I have five $100
dollar bills in one pocket, and five $1 bills in the other pocket, both
pockets are equally good for paying my bills because the "ratios" are the
same.  Uh uh, it just don't work that way.

 I have been putting a couple cups of alfalfa pellets into
my beet pulp to compensate for what I *thought* was the low Ca level in
the
BP.   [The horses are on pasture, and I add the BP (in winter sometimes
3-4 #
twice a day) w/the pellets, a handful or two of Omolene 200, and their
supplement (usually Dynamite)].

It would be fine either way.  A few cups of alfalfa isn't a big deal anyway,
and while the beet pulp was actually providing a reasonable amount of
calcium (3-4 pounds provides about 20 grams of calcium, which is sufficient
for maintenance), a little alfalfa is fine.  If anything, it's a good source
of lysine, so you just got a different benefit than the one you thought you
were getting.

I myself only feed rice bran when the horses are going thru a lot of
calories, but I want to make sure I have the right information in any
case.

Depending on how much rice bran (and everything else) you're feeding, and
whether or not the rice bran has additional calcium added to it (some do,
some don't), you may be fine or you may have an inverted ratio.  You'd have
to crunch the numbers.

Given that I am not feeding anything like straight alfalfa, can the Ca
levels
still be too high?

Very unlikely.

BTW, the same issue of the Journal has an article on feeding fats -
nothing
new, but a good summary.

You'll forgive me if I doubt their credibility at this point?<g>

thanks as always for your expertise

Welcome.  Hope it helped.

Susan G