Re: [RC] Horse Journal feed advice - Onefarmgirl

Hi Susan

Hope you're enjoying your Springtime - pouring rain here and unseasonably cold for late April.

I had a quickie question.   The Horse Journal had a note in this month's issue that discusses feeds, in response to a reader's question about helping a horse gain weight (volume 10, #5, pg 20).  They recommend a little rice bran to even out the Ca:P of the alfalfa being fed (after first recommeding it would be better to switch to grass :-)) then state that  "beet pulp has a Ca profile similar to alfalfa's".  Message being that even though it's good to feed, BP won't help equilibrate the Ca:P ration like the rice bran will.

Is that correct?  I have been putting a couple cups of alfalfa pellets into my beet pulp to compensate for what I *thought* was the low Ca level in the BP.   [The horses are on pasture, and I add the BP (in winter sometimes 3-4 # twice a day) w/the pellets, a handful or two of Omolene 200, and their supplement (usually Dynamite)].

I myself only feed rice bran when the horses are going thru a lot of calories, but I want to make sure I have the right information in any case.   In looking over your web site, it appears that while the BP Ca level is not real high, the ratios are okay, and I may be "correcting" a non-problem.   Given that I am not feeding anything like straight alfalfa, can the Ca levels still be too high?

BTW, the same issue of the Journal has an article on feeding fats - nothing new, but a good summary.

thanks as always for your expertise
pat farmer