Re: [RC] LeatherWood Part Twelve Correction and Oconee - Timothy Worden

Howard, you must have had too many beers between SandHills and LeatherWood.  I was at SandHills doing my first 50 the week before LeatherWood.  I guess technically LeatherWood was my first 50miler since SandHills was 55 miles.  My wife and I, along with Irena, finished last at SandHills.  We all had first time 50mile horse and it was my first 50.  That hooked me enough to try 50 at LeatherWood the following week.  Unfortunately it was too much to ask of my mare.  I was on and off a lot on the first really tough loop.  It was not enough though.  She got tired on the third loop so I called it a day at about 35miles.  She was still eating and drinking good and I didn't want to force her to a point she wasn't.  Vets were happy with my choice.  Plus I got to ride in Phils H2 horse taxi...super nice towing rig.  LeatherWood 50 is at the top of my conquer list for next year....I want that belt buckle.  Abbie and Phil will get to know us real well as we'll probably start training hard up there soon.

Laurie......best advice on a first LD is....stop fretting and JUST DO IT!!!!  Oconee was fun last year.  Not as easy as rides like Liberty Run.  The Oconee shirts last year had just words:  Lake, kneeknockers, cold, shade, hard, loam, hot, flat, dry, easy, wind, hot, calm, moguls, streams, sand, grass, gravel, rain, straight, bog, fast, wide, rocks, sunny, slow, hills, twisty.   Does that give you an idea of the type of ride Oconee is?  I believe the LD is 30 miles also.  Any ride you do with Rascal will be fun, you just gotta stop worrying and go do it!!!

Tim

Howard Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I let every rider go by us, except for one.  Tim, doing his first 50 (to choose Leatherwood as one's first 50 takes an amazing amount of grit), a rider from NC I had met via the Internet and, in person, for the first time, at Sand Hills.  Tim seemed to want to be the very last rider (I'll have to tell him about that special T-Shirt), so, he and his horse tailed us for awhile.

Do you Yahoo!?