Re: Thoughts on ARab size and crosses, was Re: [RC] Rios brother - Heidi Smith

Interestingly enough, I have yet, in my life, to ride a purebred Arab, who
felt had extremely smooth gaits.....

I've been fortunate enough to ride several, but also understand what you
mean about the ones that are not so smooth.  Unfortunately, the Arab for the
last 40 years or so has been selected away from smoothness and
efficiency--so one has to shop.  The classical Arab is a very smooth,
low-impact horse--but that isn't the "picture" that the English folks try to
portray in the show ring....  <sigh>

My daugher has a purebred Arab, mostly Polish
breeding, who is just lovely and balanced.  She is one of those that just
floats. and can't fault her conformation...and I just don't like her
gaits....they are too elevated and jolty, compared to other horses I have
ridden.
At age 47, I am getting picky about riding a smooth horse...body can't
take
the jolting.

Again, the elevation is a recent affectation--one needs to go back to the
more classical type of horse.

Then I keep running into all these SHORT ladies with pure Arabs that are
15.3, plus, good bone.  I sure could never find one!

Well, in over 30 years of looking at several thousand Arabians, I can tell
you that I've only seen a total of 2 purebreds in that height range that
"fit" themselves in terms of balance and bone.  But I've seen plenty under
15 hands with enough bone to pack anything.  What I HAVE found is that
people THINK my 14.3 horses are 15.3, simply because they DO have bone.  But
I don't have one of those "creative" measuring sticks....

My gut feeling is that smaller horses stay sounder....but the jury is not
in
on that!

My gut feeling is the same, and Susan G's Tevis work sure points in that
direction as well.

BTW, my husband is about your height (just under 6 feet), and is quite
handily carried by our horses that tend to range from 14.2 to 15 hands.  He
spent his life riding European warmbloods of various types, and says he
feels FAR more horseback on the smaller Arabs, due to their athleticism and
balance.  I've likewise ridden larger horses (my problem being weight, not
height) and also will take balance over size any day.  (Although for some
reason, I'm currently riding the tallest horse on the place--15.1--and I
CAN'T get on him without having the uphill advantage....)  I would submit
that if the horse does not feel "sufficient" to carry the rider, it is a
factor of balance and substance--NOT of height.  I'd further submit that if
you haven't ridden smooth Arabs, you simply haven't found the "real"
classical ones, but are rather riding the modern "improved" versions.  :-)
Here's a quote from Albert Harris in his Remount article that was used as a
preamble to the Arabian Stud Books:

"He is an easy horse to sit on. His gaits are so smooth and elastic one does
not grow fatigued. This, no doubt, is accounted for by the fact that he does
not lift his feet high or pound the ground. He is a good walking horse and
has a nice trot, at which he merely lifts his feet high enough to clear the
ground, and his canter, or gallop, is low, but smooth and graceful. "

I'd recommend to anyone interested in Arabians of riding type that they read
the entire article:

http://www.sagehillcmk.com/Preamble%20.html

It has some very pertinent comments with regard to size and conformation as
well.

Heidi