Thoughts on ARab size and crosses, was Re: [RC] Rios brother - Sullivan

This was true of the original Arab horse, and the ideal of Arabs
until....when?  How come people started wanting 16 hand Arabs?  I know
there
are some absolutely splendid tall Arabs, both in endurance and other
disciplines, but WHY?  Is bigger equated with better, as in hamburgers,
cars, boats, whatever?  Maybe it's because we became taller people,
through
better health care and better nutrition.

Welll......I am just under 6 ft. and could never find a tall Arab...so went
to ARab crosses.  I had a lovely, petite
Arab/appy that was barely 14.2, that an endurance vet said I was "too tall"
to ride, and that I would upset her balance.
At 135 lbs (me), it was not a matter of weight.  I also rode, for many
years, one of those barrel-shaped little Arab mares, not even 14.1, who had
terrific recoveries and would go all day.  Unfortunately, she did not have
good gaits, but the Arab appy was smooth as silk.
A photo of me standing next to her, front view is hysterical.  My legs are
MUCH longer than those of the horse!  But heck, when we first moved to the
country, I rode for 6 months bareback on the 12.2 hand Welsh pony, who could
keep up with the taller horses, and had a ball.

Interestingly enough, I have yet, in my life, to ride a purebred Arab, who I
felt had extremely smooth gaits.....the smoothest being the
Arab/appy....then my Arab/TWH.  The Anglo Arab had an extremely nice trot,
and for two years, a somewhat slow, jolty walk....then she taught herself
how to do a broken lateral gait.  Now she just flies downhill and at the
walk....
Just about to shoe and start riding the Arab/paint mare, who is turning 4 in
early May.  She seems to have a very smooth jog, but have not cantered her
yet.  Other Arab cross that was very smooth was our Arab mustang; very fast
walk and smooth canter. My daugher has a purebred Arab, mostly Polish
breeding, who is just lovely and balanced.  She is one of those that just
floats. and can't fault her conformation...and I just don't like her
gaits....they are too elevated and jolty, compared to other horses I have
ridden.
At age 47, I am getting picky about riding a smooth horse...body can't take
the jolting.

Then I keep running into all these SHORT ladies with pure Arabs that are
15.3, plus, good bone.  I sure could never find one!

Current main mare is 15.3 Anglo Arab......still a stretch for me to get on
from the ground....but that is a solid requirement, as I feel there will be
times on the trail that you just can't find a stump or rock, etc. You better
be able to get on and off from the ground, no matter what the height.

My gut feeling is that smaller horses stay sounder....but the jury is not in
on that!
Karen