Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:53 PM
Subject: [RC] Seabiscuit

I am probably one of a very few on ridecamp (probably the only one
actually)
who can remember being glued to the radio as Seabiscuit and War Admiral
duked
it out.  He was my hero and I plastered my bedroom wall with his pictures
from the sporting green of the San Francisco Chronicle.  On Monday night
when
they showed clips of him on television, I found my old scrapbook with his
pictures.  An artist by the name of Howard Brodie drew wonderful charcoal
sketches of him and I wrote Mr. Brodie a letter and told him I wanted a
special picture of Seabiscuit for my bedroom wall.  He kindly wrote back
and
told me that girls my age should be studying their schoolbooks and not
gambling and horse racing.  I have lost that letter, but still have all of
the sketches he drew which have commentaries under them.  One in particular
shows Seabiscuit in the foreground and a huge lion in the background and
refers to the Biscuit as "the horse with the heart of a lion, the mighty
fighter and gallant hero of western turf" When he was shipped east for the
match race against War Admiral I was sure something awful would happen to
him. The announcer on the radio was so excited that it times it was hard to
understand what he was saying, but it finally became clear that our local
boy
triumphed.  I walked on air for days.
Julie Suhr