Re: [RC] Blood work recommended? - superpat

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a test which will indicate a
predisposition for exertional rhabdomyolysis, aka myositis. After an
episode, blood is tested for evidence of myoglobin trapped in the kidneys. I
think they also test for amounts of ATP ( adenosine triphosphate)which are
energy molecules which fuel the pump that removes calcium from the muscle
cells.
Oh dear, there is so much involved in describing what happens in the
Myositis syndrome. I think it is extremely well described in Dr. Nancy
Loving's "Veterinary Manual for The Sport Horse". I highly recommend this
book to anyone wanting clear and concise information of all aspects of the
health and well being of their performance horse. I can't remember how much
it cost but I think it was a bit spendy and well worth every penny.

As for predisposition, it is interesting that Dr. Loving points out that
"Nervous horses, especially mares and fillies, are prone to Myositis,
possibly due to female endrocrine influences". My mare is fairly reactive
and somewhat high strung at times.
As to preventing Myositis episodes, Dr. Loving stresses attention to "
proper warm-up  which opens capillary beds in the muscles and activates
enzyme systems. A warm-up actually increases muscle temperature by one or
two degrees. Warmed muscles are more elastic so they contract and move more
efficiently. An adequate cool down flushes lactic acid from the muscle".
My protocol with my mare is to always walk her for at least 20 minutes
before we trot and at endurance rides, I always leave camp thirty minutes
before the ride start to quietly warm her at a walk, away from the hub bub
and excitement of the start area. She is a great horse and it is worth this
extra management to assure a healthy horse. When the weather is cold, it is
even more important to have a proper warm-up.
Pat