Re: [RC] ulcers and drugs - oddfarm

I have been informed that I am not educated on equine ulcers. Maybe I am missing something. But I do have ethics.

The original poster wanted to know why AERC would not allow ulcer drugs. I responded with "Why would you need drugs to get through a ride?". I have done my homework. Just type in "equine ulcers" and the information is there. Exercise does not cause ulcers. Long periods of training without food and stress allow acid to damage the stomach lining. Is that not true? What does it take to figure that out? All of the research I found on EGUS reiterated what I said in my post. Better management in feeding and training/exercise help to prevent and/or manage ulcers. Meaning, make sure the stomach acid has something else besides lining to burn. Like hay and food. If the horse has re-occurring ulcers, stop creating the environment in which they flourish. Like stress and hard training. Hmmm? That makes sense.

There are also many side effects to the drugs available (how many drugs DON'T have side effects?) including but not limited to organ toxicity, dehydration, loss of appetite. Is that what we want to give horses that are working for hours on end to complete a 50 or 100 mile ride? It can certainly help to speed up the healing process but if you want to compete on horse that has ulcers, how long are you willing to keep it on medication? Also, what would that lead to? Bute can help a lot of different minor aches and pains. Why shouldn't we be allowed to use that? There are also drugs that will help your horse stay calm in stressful situations like trailering. Why shouldn't we allow that? Oh, it could go on and on and on.

I stand by my original post. This is about the use of drugs, not what they are needed for.
AERC's main concern is for the horse's welfare, not the rider's ability to compete on a compromised horse. A horse on drugs, is compromised. How much do you need to know, to know that?
A medicated horse doesn't need to be doing anything except getting better.
That, to me, seems to be the ethical thing to do.
These are my opinions, but they are NOT based on ignorance 'cause I be edjucated now.

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm
How have I made it through life being so ignert? Every time I THINK I have something intelligent to say, someone let's me know I am so wrong. Will I ever learn?