Re: [RC] Maalox Question - Susan

>We are just trying to figure out how the Maalox thing in >electrolytes got started and if there is any basis in using >this other than it makes us feel good.
I mix my electrolytes with Pro-CMC.  I got the idea when I saw Valerie Kanavy using Maalox at a ride and I happened to work at a tack shop at the time.  It makes a nice consistency and the e-lytes dissolve really easily.  I think it makes the e-lytes go down easier - less burning on lips and gums.  However, this may just be making me feel better and not really doing anything different than applesauce or whatever.  At my last ride I mixed up e-lytes for the whole weekend, kept them in the fridge.  It worked beautifully, I had no trouble with clogged syringes even though I loaded them up the night before (sprayed with Pam first).
For one dose I use 2/3 of a syringe of Pro-CMC and 2 scoops of Enduralytes, so it's really a double dose.  Here in the east I've found that my horses need the extra.  You could easily use only 1 scoop of e-lytes.

SusanB