[RC] Cap Refill - April Johnson

Ok, I rushed home and checked out Tanna as soon as I got home (Saw Carla
Lawson and hubby as I drove down the highway. Freaky weird cooincidence!).
Tanna was snoozing in the semi-shade near the neighbor's horse usually is
(though Scout was not there). I walked out with carrots, a watch, and a
stethescope.

First I checked his guts. Perfectly normal for him (I never check anybody
else's guts, so I have no idea what's "normal" for other horses). Then his
back. No soreness. Hindquarter muscles. No soreness. Skin tenting, normal.
Pulse about 38.

Finally, I checked his gums. I had checked Serts' just prior just to get an
idea. Serts' gums looked fairly light-colored, too, but I could tell a
difference (very briefly) in color when I pushed on them. Anyway, Tanna's
gums were fine, too. They still looked quite light in color, but, I really
think it's because I've not paid attention to his gums before. I did get a
difference in color when pressing on his gums and it returned to the pinker
color in less than a second of letting go of the pressure.

Verdict? I think I stressed him and combined with me not having paid
attention to his gums before I think contributed.

So he's getting a week off and then we'll start back at the same mileage,
but a LOT slower speeds. I added speed and overall weekly distance at the
same time! I know, I know, it's a no-no and I didn't even realize I'd done
it until I was analyzing. So now we're going to drop back and do the
mileage, but slowly. Back to 5 mph instead of 7+ mph that we were doing.

I also didn't allow adequate rest after his LD at Chicken Chase. Now I'm
rethinking doing an LD the week before his 50. It definitely sounds too soon
for trying that. I sure wanna keep this horse for the long haul.

Thanks to those that offered advice. I think I'm going to not do the
bloodwork on him right now, but if a similar situation happens again, I'll
seriously consider that.

Thanks,
April
Nashville, TN