Re: [RC] re: hobbling to saddle - Truman Prevatt

Jim,

Good post. We always give our guys free roam of the yard while we are getting ready to load up. They walk around and graze - usually dragging their lead ropes - until we are ready. They are taught that when they step on a lead rope to stop and step back - instead of panicing. They know to stand when we approach them to get them. While any horse can panic, I doubt that ours will excpet in extorinary circumstances. Even coming eye-ball-to-eyeball with a rattler last year on the Jbird, wasn't a big deal. We stopped, backed up and the snake went into the woods and we went on by.

We did a ride out west in 2001 where there was an hour hold at 40 miles. It was in a nice big meadow with plenty of nice grass everywhere. We had a bite to eat while the horses grazed. Kathy went off talking to someone and I was watching the horses. I dozed off under the warm sun in the cool air. The horses just continued to graze around me dragging their lead ropes behind them. The Bird came up to me and "poked me with his nose" and woke me up. He was probably nosing around for the carrot in my pocket:-). I gathered them in and we tacked up and got ready to pull out. The vet there said it was amazing how these horses just walking around and grazed - not bothering anyone, not getting upset about stepping on the lead rope and even knowing how to roll with the lead rope on.

But they do it all the time at home and it's not a big deal for them to be unrestrained. Now would I intentionally let a horse go at a vet check at a big ride (or even a small ride), no I wouldn't. But it's nice to know that the base is there that if this does happen, it won't be much of a big deal.

Truman

Jim Holland wrote:

"Desensitizing" him to everything you can find from upside down saddles to ATV's significantly improve his confidence when dealing with scary stuff and increase his trust and respect for you. The more stuff he can see and experience the better. However, it's important you present it small increments so he can deal with it in his own timeframe. Some horses "adapt" to strange stuff more quickly than others. No two horses are the same. Patience, Patience, Patience. Manners, Manners, Manners.

There is no substitute for training. Magic has gone from a dumb 4 1/2
year old who couldn't stand still for 5 seconds and with no ground
manners to the horse above. How long did it take? More than TWO YEARS!