Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] MY Million Pines Story - Shelley Kerr

I agree about the training.  A horse needs to be sacked out and be able to handle a rope or anything dangling between it's legs or hanging off it's body, etc.  I've been in situations with green horses where if I hadn't done the sacking out and ground work, they would have freaked.  One was walking down the trail and I was gazing here and there and finally noticed my lead rope had come untied from my horn and was trailing between my horses legs.  Ooops!  Another (with the same horse) was when  I bought a new saddle.  Abetta.  The off billet was messed up, the holes were down too far so had to rig it to work.  Was out and about and kept hearing this tink..tink..tink.  Couldn't figure out what it was and rode around for half an hour or so, then turned my horse and the cinch comes swinging out from under her.  Another OOPS!!  Needless to say I went and bought a good off billet!
Shelley

I've seen them pitch a fit and get loose from tie lines, tied to a
trailer, in electric paddocks and pipe paddocks. At one of those large
organized trail rides I've saw rear in a stall when their buddy left and
try to jump out and end up geting their front legs over the stall door.
It's training not how they are restrained. There is very little that
will keep a 1000 pound animal restrained if he wants to get out. The
less experience they have the more likely they are to panic and do
something stupid.

This is where small rides are good for training a new horse - the
excitement level is lower and you can usually find some space off by
yourself where the adrenaline overload doesn't drive your horse bonkers.
I really like Million Pines. It's a great ride with a great ride
manager. However, it is not a ride I would select to take a horse that
wasn't a rock solid proven camper. I sure would not select this is the
first ride I took a horse to. Lots of people lots of activity lots of
excitement all adding up to sensory overload.

The ride I would choose for training a new horse in the SE is the Ponce
Pirate Run. Laid back ride with a huge camping area and lots of places
you can get away from the crowd and excitment. For those that can get
away to ride in Feb (or Oct) the Far Out Forest is also a good one for
breaking in a new horse. The Big South Fork is also a pretty laid back
ride that should provide a good experience for a new horse and if the
horse is having a difficult time you can take him down to the stable and
rent a stall away from the excitment. I am sure there are others that I
have missed.

.