Re: [RC] [RC] MY Million Pines Story - Truman Prevatt

I've seen them pitch a fit and get loose from tie lines, tied to a trailer, in electric paddocks and pipe paddocks. At one of those large organized trail rides I've saw rear in a stall when their buddy left and try to jump out and end up geting their front legs over the stall door. It's training not how they are restrained. There is very little that will keep a 1000 pound animal restrained if he wants to get out. The less experience they have the more likely they are to panic and do something stupid.

This is where small rides are good for training a new horse - the excitement level is lower and you can usually find some space off by yourself where the adrenaline overload doesn't drive your horse bonkers. I really like Million Pines. It's a great ride with a great ride manager. However, it is not a ride I would select to take a horse that wasn't a rock solid proven camper. I sure would not select this is the first ride I took a horse to. Lots of people lots of activity lots of excitement all adding up to sensory overload.

The ride I would choose for training a new horse in the SE is the Ponce Pirate Run. Laid back ride with a huge camping area and lots of places you can get away from the crowd and excitment. For those that can get away to ride in Feb (or Oct) the Far Out Forest is also a good one for breaking in a new horse. The Big South Fork is also a pretty laid back ride that should provide a good experience for a new horse and if the horse is having a difficult time you can take him down to the stable and rent a stall away from the excitment. I am sure there are others that I have missed.

Truman

Laurie Durgin wrote:

Need to maybe add "De-spooking" to the AERC manual. In Augusta I watched a horse run thru the electric fence and the Vet I was with, said, "thats' the 3rd time that horse has broken out that day." I wonder if they have ever made someone "leave" because their horse was too dangerous to others? Course I'd thought about a tape enclosure, cause my horses have some crossfence and know what it was. Till one day ,Rascal was in a tape, non electric grass paddock, alone,grazing like he often does, (mowing the front) when the vet was here , and the horses started whinneying, and the vet said "he's going to jump that"(yes, he has jumped cross rails and 2 ft. under my daughter some). My husband said "he's never done that before". Sure enough he jumped the tape .
Have no idea why, he did that that day, was very agitated about something.
I try to remember what John Lyons said,"If a horse gets into a wreck, wait, until the wreck is over, then see if you can pick up the pieces. No horse is worth your life, or even your little finger."(this is from an obviously bowlegged, crooked legged with a limp man,You bet he has been hurt.)(course we think they are worth our lives, but try to keep a clear head. . . . Laurie and Rascal