Re: [RC] Spring Shots - Heidi Smith

>As for IV fluids - electrolytes, esp. potassium, if given too fast or too concentrated can "burn" a vein causing phlebitis which can lead to scarring - the trick is that the electrolytes must be sufficiently diluted in the IV solution.  The IV itself should not cause irritation of the vein because it is in for such a short time.  (principles are the same for humans, as an RN with an Advanced Practice License I teach IV therapy).

First off, electrolytes as such should not be given IV anyway UNLESS they are a part of an isotonic solution--to give a more concentrated solution would further dehydrate the horse, and could also cause tonicity problems in the bloodstream that could actually cause damage to red blood cells, etc.  One of the biggest problems with an IV catheter is a bleedback, which makes a lovely place for bacteria to gather, with the resulting infection (even if low-grade) causing scarring.  This is more of a problem in veterinary medicine than in human medicine as it is more difficult to control the cleanliness of the environment around the catheter.  Also, sufficiently large quantities of blood outside the vein can cause scarring on their own, just from the fibrin in the clot becoming organized.  Keep in mind that we are often using a 10-g or 12-g catheter in a horse's jugular vein as opposed to perhaps an 18-g or smaller, which seems to be standard for human IV's, judging by what they've used on me in the hospital.  A 10-g hole in a vein is much more apt to have a significant bleedback if one is not careful than is a significantly smaller catheter.

Heidi