[RC] Spring Shots - Wendy Mancini

    Just some thoughts & what we started doing.  First off, how many of you have kids?  Remember when they got shots?  Fever, aches, etc.  I gave Tylenol to both of mine each time they got a shot for the first 24 hrs. and never had a problem.  As for my horses, now that they end up with rabies, tetanus, West Nile, etc. in the spring we break up the shots into 2 sessions & I give ASA (bute would do also) for 24 hrs. and no problems.  My vet does use the neck muscle but uses both sides - not all in one side.  So far, so good for all 4 at my barn and since my one travels so much we also added Potomac on him.
    Just some thoughts, I'm a big believer in vaccinations.  I'll even get revaccinated for smallpox if & when it's available & my kids will finally get it too.
    As for IV fluids - electrolytes, esp. potassium, if given too fast or too concentrated can "burn" a vein causing phlebitis which can lead to scarring - the trick is that the electrolytes must be sufficiently diluted in the IV solution.  The IV itself should not cause irritation of the vein because it is in for such a short time.  (principles are the same for humans, as an RN with an Advanced Practice License I teach IV therapy).