[RC] [Guest] WNV Study - Ridecamp Guest

Joane Pappas White

Thank You Louise!

Most of the material I have been monitoring since October has come from
Colorado State but I had not seen the results of the study.  Now the Plains
States were hit the hardest from late summer into the winter----at least if
the CDC website was at all on top of the reports.

The Denver Post reported the mutation issue in early December and quoted
Colorado State as the source. When and where the mutation started is not
reported anywhere that I can find.

I don't think there was any serious doubt that the vaccine would immunize
with a good level of efficacy against the original strain of the virus for
which it was designed.  The issue is whether the virus coming at us in the
West this Spring has mutated enough that the efficacy rate of the vaccine
may be limited at best.  The 10%  efficacy figure came from CDC when they
were speculating about the effects of mutation.

Reading the Colorado State study, I would vaccinate.  But I don't want that
to lull me into a false sense of security until someone can tell me whether
the horses in the study were affected by the original strain or the mutated
version.  Do any of the vets have any information on the mutation and
growing virulence of the virus?  Perhaps Susan G might know more about the
time period covered by the study and when the horses were infected---that
might give some clue about the strain---or perhaps that is being study
further now?

Thanks again Louise---

Joane White
Price, Utah