Re: [RC] Trail Blazer Article/collection - Maggie Mieske

About collection....I have some questions for the more experienced riders out there.  It amazes me how much I learn every year!!  :)  Anyway, I have not been able to condition the miles I would like to lately and this winter have spent some time riding/training/working on simple stuff to keep our minds sharp and the cabin fever at bay.  Spring is here (I have been able to go on longer and longer rides) and Nelson is training our 5 yo stallion to drive (doing beautifully by the way.)  To make a long story short, I have been riding Malik while Nelson drives Mykal.  The two stallions are at very different levels of fitness and I am often required to hold Malik back to accomodate Mykal.  In so doing, he began doing this very beautiful, fun, collected "canter"...almost like staying in place but going nowhere slowly.  :)  Well, not nowhere...but you get my drift.  Malik will travel well collected for me at the trot and canter but I have never asked him to do this ultra controlled collection.  When he has, it is usually a protest on his part.  The first time we did it for a ways and it was quite a work out for him.  Since then, I have begun initiating these little mini workouts during our rides...at first, he did it out of frustration at not being able to go the speed he wanted to but now he will do it for me when I ask (usually...but it is hard work for him).  Nelson and I feel this is working a different set of muscles for him and also causing him to really concentrate mentally (neither of which can hurt him!).  Does anyone else do this kind of thing with their horse as a physical or mental exercise?  If so, tell me about it...I don't want to overdo it.
Thanks!!
Maggie