Re: [RC] Horses and Husbands - Karla Watson

Men LOVE to be needed and they love to be complimented. Tell him you *need* him to help you hold your adorable foal while you get something. Be gone just long enough for him to get bored and discover how cute a foal face is. If you can, buy him his own horse that he picks out (after you make sure its a safe one) and tell him you REALLY *need* him to go trail riding with you and that green horse that needs to just walk thru that really beautiful area of the trail. Find ways of needing his opinions, help and large, strong body to help around your horses. Tell him how *hot* he looks in the barn all dirty and around your favorite animal. Call him and tell him you are really late and will he please go and and feed the horses. Make it easy for him so its fun. Then be really late so he might spend some time out there. Never (I mean NEVER) criticize him on how he rides or does things around horses. Give him constant compliments on how well he is doing things even if he is riding bad. We ALL rode bad in the beginning. Don't be all "know-it-all" and tell him how to do too many things. Let him discover things on his own like we all did. Go on a walking ride on a beautiful day and kiss on horseback and pack a really yummy sandwich for him. I think you get what I'm saying. My man is getting more involved every day and its so wonderful. He is actually cleaning stalls now and I tell him what a great job he does and that he is better at it than me (not really, but who cares?!) I constantly tell him how handsome he looks on his horse and have taken lots of photos of him around and on his guy. I may never get him on an endurance ride but I did tell him that I *needed* him to rub my back at vet checks and that I couldn't do it without him!!

Karla Watson