[RC] Horses and Husbands - Tamara Taylor

Hello list,

My husband and I were recently married (October) and we have been together for
4 years. Life is grand. He's my best friend in the world and we have a lot of
fun together. The only thing is that he is as non-horsey as they come! I love
riding and spending hours at the barn. My husband does not! There are several
other couples at the barn where I board and they both come out and spend time
at the barn together even if one of them is non-horsey and is just learning to
ride. I am looking forward to travelling to rides and shows this summer but I
don't think he will enjoy it much. I hate to drag him along if he's not going
to love it too.

He is supportive of my riding. He encourages me to go spend time with my horses
because he knows it makes me happy. He doesn't gripe about all the financial
costs. He even let my buy a new foal - my dream horse - last month despite our
very meager budget. The foal has arrived but he hasn't even been out to the
barn to see it yet. We own several dogs as well (my babies) and live in the
city. He knows that I don't like to leave them crated for long periods of time
so he works his schedule so that he can be home exercising the dogs while I
ride. He is very accomodating.

Now I realize that it is important to have your separate things to do in a
relationship. But horses are a huge part of my life and I would like him to be
a part of that aspect of my life. I will have a great ride and be beaming or
just enjoying the company of a warm muzzle but I still feel like something is
missing because I can't share it with him. If I ask he will come to the barn
with me but I can tell how much it bores him so I don't bother asking anymore.

Do any of you ever feel this way? What do you do to deal with it?

Thanks,

Tam