Re: [RC] Horses and Husbands - Bette Lamore

Hi Tamara
My husband Mark is in and out of the horses so far as riding, but he does most of the feeding, helps me with training (especially the babies) and mostly complains about the high cost of feed :-(
There was a time he went trail riding with me often and even showed Country English Pleasure (what a stretch) but that was many moons ago and we have suffered some hard financial times since then. I hope he will renew his interest in riding with me again some day--- right now it seems to be tennis and occasional golf. I have to say that to me, watching or playing golf is comparable to watching grass grow and I am not swift at tennis. Just as I decline watching football on Sundays, I do know I can't stuff riding down his throat and, although he complains and threatens to leave me if I adopt even one more 4 legged creature, he hasn't packed his bags yet and I catch him rubbing on Bunny (not to mention sleeping in the pasture two months with him) and 34 year old Durvish.
I believe when we recover from some of the setbacks we have had that he will again be relaxed enough to enjoy many of the things he used to--- riding being one of them. Many women I talk to say that their husbands fret about work and that takes away from their ability to enjoy the subtle things which require a relaxed attitude such as nature and animals. We fell in love with our husbands because of their good hearts and it may be that many have only so much to give and see animals more as a responsibility--- whereas we woman see them as a source of love and strength for us. We are the receptive ones, the gatherers...--- men are the hunters-- the procurers. And then there are men, such as many on this ridecamp (Truman, Frank, Tom... etc) who openly give themselves to the sport. These days, however, men seem to be in the minority (just look in the show ring and in training barns).
I guess what I am saying is that your husband may yet become involved at times and in his own way, as mine has. Even so, it may not be to the the extent you'd like (that is where I am frequently coming from). Yet in my heart I know if I push it, it will get worse and I have to accept whatever level Mark chooses to participate at (including driving 600 miles to deliver and pickup a horse).
Sounds like you have a keeper husband. All the things you described sounds like he truly loves you and is in fact participating much with his support. There is only one thing left to do: perhaps wearing something from Victoria's Secret in the barn some evening????? :-)
Bette

Tamara Taylor wrote:
Hello list,

My husband and I were recently married (October) and we have been together for 4 years. Life is grand. He's my best friend in the world and we have a lot of fun together. The only thing is that he is as non-horsey as they come! I love riding and spending hours at the barn. My husband does not! There are several other couples at the barn where I board and they both come out and spend time at the barn together even if one of them is non-horsey and is just learning to ride. I am looking forward to travelling to rides and shows this summer but I don't think he will enjoy it much. I hate to drag him along if he's not going to love it too.

He is supportive of my riding. He encourages me to go spend time with my horses because he knows it makes me happy. He doesn't gripe about all the financial costs. He even let my buy a new foal - my dream horse - last month despite our very meager budget. The foal has arrived but he hasn't even been out to the barn to see it yet. We own several dogs as well (my babies) and live in the city. He knows that I don't like to leave them crated for long periods of time so he works his schedule so that he can be home exercising the dogs while I ride. He is very accomodating.

Now I realize that it is important to have your separate things to do in a relationship. But horses are a huge part of my life and I would like him to be a part of that aspect of my life. I will have a great ride and be beaming or just enjoying the company of a warm muzzle but I still feel like something is missing because I can't share it with him. If I ask he will come to the barn with me but I can tell how much it bores him so I don't bother asking anymore.

Do any of you ever feel this way? What do you do to deal with it?

Thanks,

Tam

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)