RE: [RC] [RC] "headsetting" Clarifying - Donna J. Coss

Your horse is not balanced and his back is not strong enough to assume the nose down and collection you are looking for.  You must build the back muscles first!  Go back to the beginning,  use long lining with a mild snaffle and start over.   If you don't do this, you will have a horse that is ruined for proper riding.  When you use a draw rein, you are building up resistance muscles in the neck,  just exactly what you do not want!

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Allegra
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 7:03 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] "headsetting" Clarifying

  I'm already using draw reins and having them work. Thank you for the suggestion, but he did not respond as well to the martingale as he does the draw reins.

 My question was, should I continue to work him with building those muscles every time I ride. Or should I alternate between work collecting and work distance.