Fwd: [RC] [RC] "headsetting" Clarifying - CLRidnhigh

In a message dated 3/25/2003 8:00:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, CLRidnhigh writes:

I personally am a firm believer in proper head carriage. I have seen some of the posts and I do not agree with some of them commenting on how he may be tired from using new muscles and to just let him do what he wants. Proper head carriage is very important. I have an article in the Trail-Blazer magazine this month on this very issue titled  "The Importance of Proper Head Carrage in the Distance Horse" Proper head carriage helps support the weight of the rider by building stronger muscles in the back, witch will effect saddle fitting, proper tracking, stride & balance, safty and control, helps prevent fatigue and proper air flow for the distance horse etc....... With the horse carring himself properly it helps him stay sound and he will last longer in performance in the long run!
I do however think draw reins are a tad strong as it will pull the horse in to much and he can over bend and he can over work himself. Draw reins are intended for long line work or flat work in the ring. On the trail he will overbend and as soon as you take it off he is back to his old ways.
I do recomend using a German Martingale. They are much differnt than a running martingale. If any of you have noticed the Germans do rather well in Dressage. Anyway I have used German Martingales on all of my young horses started here at Trail-Rite for years and they work wonderfully. It works on the release method (give and take) As soon as the horse sets his head properly it gives him a release. It is a wonderfull way of training and they don't end up being dependant. Helps them from the get go before starting any bad habits how to properly cary themselves.  I do recomend instilling it in them by using it up to six month to a year depending on the horse with follow up tune ups when or if they get sloppy or just using it in the begining of a ride and taking it off at lunch. It dose the work for you and is a wonderful tool to use for the trail horse as you are out on the trail for hours unlike the arena horse that only has to work for maximum of an hour or so. The trail rider will tire on collecting the horse on the trail... An hour in the ring ok....
Trail Rite is now making them out of Beta (and nylon) and it clips to your brest collar now too. We have made it much simpler to deal with for the endurance riders. We do not have them posted on our website yet but you can order them from my mother at Trailrite@xxxxxxx

Charlene Lewis Stueve
  Trail-Rite Training Center
  www.trail-rite.com
  (661) 513-5551
  Fax   513-5552
--- Begin Message --- Was it a German Martingale? It is not like a running martingale at all.

I personally am a firm believer in proper head carriage. I have seen some of the posts and I do not agree with some of them commenting on how he may be tired from using new muscles. Proper head carriage helps support the weight of the rider, proper tracking, balance and control etc....... With the horse carring himself properly he will last longer in performance in the long run.
I do however think draw reins are a tad strong as it will pull the horse in to much and he can over bend and he can over work himself.

Charlene Lewis Stueve
Trail-Rite Training Center
(661) 513-5551
Fax   513-5552