Re: [RC] The nutritional guide to lame babies - Heidi Smith

Do only arab breeders over feed?

No, but *some* Arabs are digestively very efficient and so can get fat on
a diet that would barely keep an average thoroughbred sucking air.
Same for a lot of the foundation-type Morgans, thus maybe a factor in
the incidence in that breed as well.

 > If it is genetics that  preposition a horse to over sensitivity to
imbalances in
the diet - it still is genetics. Why knowingly breed for it?

If overnutrition is indeed the factor that predisposes to clubfootedness,
then is it a fault of the horse?  I could turn the same argument around
and
say that XYZ line of horses can stay fit and healthy without being fed a
ton of
concentrates, supplements and rich hays.  That sounds more like a Good
Thing
to me. :-)  I would think he effort neds to go into owner education
instead.

Indeed, efficiency with calories IS something for which many of us actively
try to select.  And while overfeeding calories is not the only nutritional
aspect responsible for club-footedness, it is a part of it.  So Lauren, are
you suggesting that we select AWAY from the sorts of endurance horses that
can easily meet their caloric requirements on normal feeds?  I'm with Susan
here--I wish we could convince owners to let youngsters eat optimally and
run out, instead of suggesting that we select away from efficient horses,
just because some folks can't quit "killing them with kindness."

Heidi