Re: [RC] The nutritional guide to lame babies - DESERTRYDR1

In a message dated 3/23/03 5:24:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, 4horn@xxxxxxx
writes:

I don't see the frequency in the lines from Europe and that includes Polish
 arab race lines and warmbloods. That is because they are stricter breeders
 from a quality standpoint.

My mare, with both fronts clubby, is the daughter of a Polish import
stallion.  There are a lot of reasons (genetic, nutritional, injuries) why
horses develop club foot.  But mainly, if you don't overfeed, your not AS
LIKELY to get it in otherwise susceptible horses.  I like Heidi's theory that
there is a genetic predisposition to  metabolize feeds well.  I have noticed
that often when a horse develops a club foot, it's on the foot that is
positioned back when the horse grazes.  Some horses are ambidextrous, others
tend to graze more with one particular foot back.  That foot bears less of
the horse's weight, thus that foot ends up clubbed.  The filly I mentioned
that wound up with a club foot, I watched day to day as they ignore the start
of it, ignored the soreness in the tendons, ignored the lameness, and sold
her.  They just told the new owner--Don't worry about that foot, it just
takes a little minor surgery to correct.  When a breeder has that attitude,
and also the attitude that the way they have been doing it for the last 30
years is okay, in spite of new research (on various subjects, not just
nutrition) there's nothing you can do.  I know, I tried.   jeri