Re: [RC] endurance - firedancefarms

OK..a short one....my daughter has been e-mailing a boy in Australia as
endurance pen pals and we decided to do an "endurance exchange".  He and his
mom came over and rode my ride, Okmulgee Cougar Prowl, yesterday.  They
turtled the ride, and had a very good time.  Thank you Susan Young Casey for
the loan of Topper!
Lyn (mom) is going back to Australia tomorrow, but Brad is staying a few
more weeks.  He is excited to do the Texas Bluebonnet the 5th of April!

Evidently endurance is not much different in Australia as here in the CT
region .We are (pleasantly) surprised that the rides are so similar in the
two countries!  Like here, they have a national organization, and very few
rides are FEI.  It seems anyone can do a "50" but you have to start as a
novice, with a set minium time, for x amount of miles.  You have to do so
many "50s" before you can do a "100".  And of course they have log books.
You don't have ride cards, and someone ferries your log book back and forth
from a table to the ride vet at the stops!  Some ideas I think would work
here and some would not. The most unusual word we have found is they call
trailers  "floats".  They say "we floated our horses here" which we find
very funny to imagine!

It has been a fun and very interesting experience, and Amber hopes to go do
a multiday over there in August!

As for Cougar Prowl itself, the weather was excellent, the trail "medium
muddy but dried out as the day went on".  31 starters on the 50, with only 3
pulls..no metabolics!
I thought the 50 milers did a great job in taking care of their horses on a
"not so perfect" trail and warm weather for this time of the year.  We had
riders from MN, IA, KS, OK, MO, AR, and TX.
Thank you!
Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians