Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] The nutritional guide to lame babies

First off, I'm not talking about a true, extreme  club foot, I'm mostly talking about a "semi-clubfoot" that comes in degrees and is in conjunction with a low heeled hoof. I've seen pictures of 'foundation' arabs that have the same thing. I've seen a picture of Abu Farwa that showed his high heel/low heel fault. IMO, this has been bred into the breed because breeders don't care. I see it in some lines more frequently than others.

Have there been published studies on the nutritional cause? If it is nutritional, why only one foot?  How come I don't see the high heel/low heel as frequency in other breeds? I rarely see it in warmbloods and I see lots of warmbloods in my area.  Europeans don't allow horses with hoof faults to become approved breeding horses. Do only arab breeders over feed?  I'm not saying nutrition doesn't play a role but I do believe very strongly that genetics do. If it is genetics that  preposition a horse to over sensitivity to imbalances in the diet - it still is genetics. Why knowingly breed for it?

Club feet can skip generations so just because a club footed mare doesn't produce a club footed foal doesn't really prove anything.

I've had to deal with three arabs over the years with this type of hoof structure and it is something that I really feel strongly about. There are so many issues that come with this structure and like other things, it really can become a problem with the sport of endurance. It is something that needs to be exposed, examined and fixed. It is a fault and it should be treated as such, especially for the halter horses that go on to influence future generations.

Lauren