[RC] The nutritional guide to lame babies - Lauren Horn

I strongly disagree with Linda's post about club footedness being related to too much food (nutrition). Although I know nothing about morgans one of my big pet peeves in the arabian breed is the frequency that I see horses with club feet, or mostly high heel/low heel. THIS IS GENETIC. I have no doubt about this but I won't rule out other less frequent causes of this major fault.

Not enough people realize how prevalent this is becoming and it brings other major issues along with the hoof imbalance including saddle fit, uneven shoulders, uneven gait, tight muscles, tied in at the knee,  etc....

People breed to club footed stallions all the time. Pictures are hard to tell because a good farrier can trim a horse and then the owner can take pictures and it is very hard to tell, although there are signs. It is much easier to see after 5-6 weeks. If you breed,  choose mares and stallions that don't carry this trait. It is becoming a big problem in the breed. And many national champions have this fault too, so a show record is no guarantee.

Lauren