Re: [RC] [RC] Backyard breeders - Joan Ruprecht

I like mixed breeds, I don't like racism, be it in pets or people.  That
does not mean I am against purebreds.  But being pure does not equate to
being best.

Joan

Subject: Re: [RC] Backyard breeders

[private]

Joan,

You make a good point, that small dogs are in higher demand and they
produce
smaller litters. But I have two friends who picked up and adopted small
dogs
at campgrounds, dogs found without ID.

And true, small dogs tend to get snatched up from shelters and humane
societies far more quickly than large dogs, but the point is, they
sometimes
still end up there.

Glad to hear you're being conscientious about both breeding and choosing
puppy owners. I hope you didn't feel like I was jumping down your throat (I
kinda was), but I help with breed rescues, have volunteered at the Humane
Society and own a purebred of a very protected breed (as well as a lovable
mix). I'm like a reformed smoker sometimes. After seeing what the breeder
of
the protected breed was able to offer me in terms of support and training
advice as well as pet sitting on request (>g<) in exchange for an extensive
interview process (like adopting a child, I swear!), a neuter contract and
enough money to cover their expenses, I will never buy a dog from anyone
who
doesn't demand a spay/neuter contract or someone who breeds to make money.

Take care and happy dogging!