Re: [RC] Re: Beet Pulp...How much? - superpat

Hi Susan,
(I am including this note to RC as I am certain your advice will touch more
than a few inquiring minds).
I have been re-reading much of your advice regarding beet pulp and this
particular excerpt (Sept., 2001) was a bit of a "heads-up" for me.

You can feed up to about half the hay ration---that is, if a horse
normally
eats 20 pounds of hay per day, you can slowly replace ten pounds of it
with
beet pulp dryweight.  However, that's a bunch of beet pulp and assuming
you're feeding it wet, you have to watch out it doesn't start to sour
before
the horse can eat it all.  My old broodmare used to eat 12-14 pounds a day
in three feedings (she basically lived in her bucket) and I thought she
held
the record til her piglet son Dakota broke her record at 15-16 pounds a
day
PLUS hay (I had casually told Karen he could have 'all he wants' and she
took me at my word).

Worth mentioning that of course you'd wanna take some time to introduce
any
new feed and work up to higher amounts---one nice lady said she was going
start feeding beet pulp, then emailed me back two weeks later and was
wondering if it was normal for her horse to be farting like that.  She was
so enthusiastic about it (the beet pulp, not the farting), she'd put the
horse right onto ten pounds a day and the horse was turning into a methane
factory.  But by golly, did he have great gut motility or WHAT. <g>

Anyway, introduce it gradually like you would anything else.  Most horses
seem to do fine getting 5-8 pounds a day, depending on what your goals
are,
weight gain or whatever.

I have been feeding my three horses less than a pound a day. I soak two cups
pellets overnight which makes enough to feed each horse three to four cups
soaked pulp (mixed with their supplements, oil & 1/2 to 1 cup rice bran for
flavor) adding enough warm water to make it really soupy like heavy cream.
This makes about a gallon or so of mixture.
Wednesday before an endurance ride, I start feeding as much soaked beet pulp
and free choice hay that my horse will eat. She doesn't show any interest in
the beet pulp unless it is "sweetened" with bran or rice bran or Complete
Advantage, so she isn't really consuming much.
Sometimes once at the camp on Friday and Saturday morning, she may eat up to
a quart of soaked beet pulp (which translates to less than a pound dry
weight pellets) and then shows little interest at the holds or vet checks.

I can hardly imagine trying to feed even one pound of pellets soaked (which
would make a huge amount). Got any suggestions for encouraging her to eat a
substantial amount? Perhaps I have not been patient enough in increasing the
amounts slowly enough and have given up when she has left her feed in the
bucket. Also, do you feed the soaked pulp "straight" without adding
"sweeteners" to encourage eating?
Pat (who has been feeding a pitifully small amount of beet pulp)