[RC] national awards too small/ iditarod - RENESPONY

well that kind of takes the wind out of your sails when you win a national
award and get a dinky little $19.95 plaque.
yes its true, its not the award that counts, but the sense of accomplishment.
but guys, look at this missed opportunity to advertise! give all these kids
and big award winners huge trophies, and put their picture  in ads all over
the horse magazines. all types not just endurance news or trailrider.
what  better  way to introduce our sport to riders in other disciplines, than
with a  picture of a champion holding a big trophy and grinning from ear to
ear?
hey sundowner, how about a trailer for the high point/high mileage champion
of the year?
a years supply of grain from one of the big companies?
i just think there are some opportunities here for better awards and
certainly a chance to advertise our sport at the same time.

On another note I was following the iditarod sled dog race on their web site.
I know nothing about dog sledding but I clicked on different links and got a
good education about it.
AERC could take a few pointers from them, what details they give!
They have a set of guidelines and rules about dropped (tired)dogs, and how
things are handled when one dies.
And microchipping! these guys know what they are doing and it shows in their
organizational skills.
Food for thought.

                                                                   RENE