Re: [RC] Breed standard - SandyDSA

Yeah - and one of the funniest - and profoundly SADDEST things in the Arabian circles still is the concept that show ring wins are genetic - so breeding one's mare who is by Ibn Halter Champion of 1999 to Ibn 2002 halter champion MUST produce Bint Halter Champion 2005. Oh brother. That doesn't even address the subject of...so what? Exactly what do you want to do with said halter champion after their season is over, say at age 5?? Not being bred for actual use nor trained for anyone to ride, compete or otherwise enjoy, why, pray tell, do people then say "well, we just we would BREED her!" No, I for one don't want any one high brow organization telling me what is good and what isn't. Heck, Arabian breeders can't even stick to the decades old definition of Arabian type (as defined in the handbook both in writing and - for the linguistically challenged - in a drawning) as it is! I like to look at that drawing, have the description memorized - then go look in my barn and see and touch what we have, ride and produce.

This has been all too graphically illustrated by the
overuse of some of many show "champions" and the subsequent disillusionment
of people who see all those "famous names" in pedigrees of horses that
aren't worth a plugged nickel as riding animals, and conclude that pedigrees
"mean nothing."  When all you personally know about a pedigree is that those
horses met with some particular person's (or group of people's) ideas of
what "quality" is (instead of YOU personally studying those horses to know
exactly WHAT qualities and faults they possess), you can be in for some
really rude shocks.