Re: [RC] Breed Standard - Heidi Smith

Kat, you should read the preamble to Stud Book V (the first Arabian stud book) which was written by Albert Harris.  He perfectly describes what an Arabian is.  But he also allows that there is some variation.  The Arabian was traditionally (and SHOULD continue to be) bred to a functional standard, not a visual one, even though there are traits that are distinctively Arab.

Heidi

----- Original Message -----
From: Kat Forst
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 1:35 PM
Subject: [RC] Breed Standard

The judging criteria, in my opinion, and what I am pushing for would be based on the ARABIAN. For example the Arab is supposed to be between _hh and _hh. Neck should be___, etc.  There should be a range. If people want horses for a specific dicipline to be graded in their ability to do that, then that's another issue (ie. AWR) not a breed standard issue.

business online