Re: [RC] Arab inspections - Heidi Smith

Hell will freeze solid before I'll subject my stock to inspection and
approval.
The Syrian Bedouin consider them to be asil and that's good enough for me.

THANK YOU, Charlotte!  (I've been trying to figure out a diplomatic way to
put just that.)  The show ring itself is a form of "inspection" to a
"standard"--and as is the flaw any time you have a little group of human
judges, the "standard" becomes so perverted any time it is subjected to
human judges that the breed suffers.  Look at dog shows, where purebred dogs
are judged to a published "standard"--and yet many that qualify as
"champions" are unsound and unfit for any form of work.

Even given very knowledgeable and conscientious inspectors, breeds tend to
run toward particular fads and types under inspection systems--there can be
correct and functional conformation under a variety of styles that still
meet the breed standard, but when one eliminates that with inspection
systems (which is what tends to happen in real life), the breed suffers.

The variation in vision of different breeders is a part of what keeps the
gene pool diverse and healthy.  That said, the proof is in the pudding--a
"typical" Arabian is a horse that can improve riding type, and hence those
who excel at riding disciplines (endurance, dressage, jumping, cattle work,
etc.) are those who best meet the breed standard.  The fact that my
foundation stallion sired 5 horses (of the small handful that he sired) that
went over 1000 AERC miles (and one of those went over 10,000 miles), along
with my own personal judgment, is all the "inspection" I need.

Heidi