Re: [RC] [Guest] TTEAM Balance Rein - Jim Holland

Ridecamp Moderator wrote:

Naomi Preston mustanglady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Speaking as a current TTEAM Practitioner, the Balance Rein is a very
effective tool to lighten a horse that's heavy on the forehand.  It's
purpose is not to just stay with the horse at all.  The purpose is to be
able to give the horse a signal at his neck/chest, rather than on the
mouth.  By asking the horse from the chest, you can overcome resistance you
may have by continually pulling on the horse's mouth.

In TTEAM, we use a couple of different types of equipment to get this
effect.  One is called the neck lariat, and it is a stiff loop of lariat
rope.  The other is basically a rein in a large loop.  They each have a
different "feel", but are both excellent tools for rebalancing a horse.

Bobbie Lieberman told me about these and I ordered one.  It's really
interesting to use.  My horses put their heads down on rein cue and
move, stop, go forward, etc. with leg and weight changes.  My challenge
was to see if I could accomplish the same thing with the lariat. They
pick it up almost immediately. For example, my "head down" cue from the
saddle is to "rock" the hackamore across their nose by alternately
puling on each rein. They get "attuned" to that, like the John Lyons'
one rein cues, they anticipate the "rock" and drop their head on a "one
rein" pickup....anticipating the "rock".

They almost immediately translated the rein/hackamore cue to the lariat.
Usually you need a "transitional" cue to have them understand what you
want. I tried just "bumping" the lariat against their chest as a
substitute. They picked it up immediately! Neck rein is, of course,
basically the same, and a tug backwards with a weight shift means back
up. Release with foward lean means "go forward". But how quickly they
learned the alternate head drop cue was amazing.

You really control the horse with what's between his ears, not what's in
his mouth.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic