[RC] Trailering - heidi sowards

I have a friend with an older mare who scrambles around
every corner in a straight load. She will ride in a slant,
no dividers just fine though. Needs to really spread out!
Another friend has a mare that panics and they found if she
rides backwards in a slant she's wonderful. My gelding
scrambled on the way to a ride on any left turns and
actually fell down. It was a straight load with a divider,
he's been in an open 2 horse and did fine and has been in
my trainer's slant and did fine even with the dividers.
(She owns the mare who rides backwards.) So we're gonna try
a slant and drop dividers and see how he wants to ride as a
trial. good luck!

heidi

--- Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
He is "scrambling", heard if you corner to fast ,etc.
some horses
will"learn" to do this.Unfortunately I know a few and
they say once they do
this it's really hard to stop it. Both the trainers I
know won't put a
scrambler next to an end wall.They also sometimes take
the dividers out, if
only hauling one.Sometimes they lightly tranqualize them
to take the edge
off.
YOu might try distracting him(works with some) with a
haynet and some hay
while traveling.Some trainers also haul"loose", they take
dividers out and
don't tie and let the horse find his own balance.
Unfortuanately I have another friend who rescued a
arab/saddlebred and  he
was locked up all but an hour a day., Became a weaver,and
charged, reared,
etc.Wouldn't load,(well they tranq. him to get him out
during hurricanes.
Ended up neurotic. He first wouldn't load, then would
weave and tear the
trailer down to get out. They sent him to a trainer who
specialized with
these horses and even used him in a clinic. Good news ,
he learned to load
easy. But "won't stay in" without going bananas"Tried
everything.She
basically has to tranqualize him to take him anywhere.Now
he was a hard
case.
One of our ponies would paw if we stopped, now my gelding
is starting to do
it.I guess they 'think" they get  to get off if it stops
sooner.
I'd try to get him away from the wall for a while, where
he can't brace.I'm
sure he thinks he is falling when you go down hill and he
feels trapped and
panics.Best of luck   Laurie and RAscal