Re: [RC] Husband and Wife Team Award - Joe Long

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:27:41 -0700, "Heidi Smith"
<heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not Joe, but I can speak to the original intent of the BoD when this award
was changed to add a criterion for the spouse with lesser miles, as I was on
the  BoD at the time.  It was never the intent to DQ a couple from being in
competition, but rather to make it so that both parties had to contribute to
the points/miles.  The original intent was that the spouse riding the least
had to have at least half as much mileage as the other one.  So--a couple
could ride as many rides, but one do 100's and one do 50's, or one spouse
could do half as many rides.  But the thought was that if, say, one spouse had
200 miles and the other spouse had 1000 miles, then only the best 400 miles
from the latter would count.  It wasn't intended to DQ such a couple from
competition, but rather to ensure that they didn't beat a couple who rode a
lot more rides together.  So maybe a couple like that might place, but they
wouldn't beat a couple that rode the same mileage but each did 600 miles.
Just an
example.

I was also on the BoD at that time, and my understanding of this
differs.  Prorating the points by either the first, last, or best
mileage was not an option, and not intended to be done.  The idea was
to keep it simple and straightforward:  the only couples considered
for the award were those who both rode enough so that each spouse rode
at least one-third of their total miles.

The concept was to honor a husband/wife team who were both active
riders throughout the season, and who both contributed substantially
to their total points, while keeping a simple format.

I can't say for certain if prorating the points was discussed -- my
best recollection was that it came up, but was quickly dropped with
little discussion -- but my memory of those meetings is not
comprehensive.  However, if that was the intent the rule would have
had to have specified how the proration was to be done.  "Best" miles
is too vague -- just one of the difficulties with that is that twice
the shorter miles is unlikely to be a number that equals a specific
set of the rides completed by the other spouse (we have too many 55,
60, 65 mile rides for that).  So if we intended to do as Heidi
suggests, how would it be done?  Take the group of highest-scoring
rides that add up to equal or less than that magic number?  Take just
a fraction of the points of the next ride, that would go over the
magic number?  All of those issues would have had to have been
addressed and specified.

As they will have to be addressed and specified if the BoD changes the
award now.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx