Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] beach closing to horses in ca.?

There are 26 endangered species of freshwater mussels that inhabit the streams and waters of the southern Appalachian mountains. Has that impacted endurance rides in the SE - or any equestrian event that requires a permit - you bet it has big time. The folks over in Alabama some years ago ( I think Joe Long was on the front line here) hauled blocks by hand down to the creek beds to make crossings for horses that would be minimal disturbance on the mussels. There are trails that are closed from endurance rides in the Big South Fork because we would have to cross the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River at a point where there is an active mussel bed to get to them.

SERA has paid for materials and/or provided the works in two cases to build bridges - one in Mississippi to protect an endangered aquatic plant and the other in the Talladega NF in Alabama for the stream crossings.

Yes there are conflicts but they have to be and can be worked. The Trials Column in the March EN is a very good example of how we can work with the FS. The area the Hungry Buzzard was held in was basically off limits for endurance rides since the mid 90's because of the mussels and the number of stream crossing on the streams and the initial poor layout of the trails. There working with the FS and through lots of volunteer hours helping the FS and through a few bucks to help buy the marterial for bridges, we were able to run the Buzzard on the old trails at Talladega one last time before they are closed and the new ones open. We will have more trails when this happens this spring - not less. This was a true win-win for all envolved but especially for the hrosemen. This cooporation has lead to, more miles of an environmentally friendly trail layout and a few bridges to keep the horses out of the streams at the sensitive crossings.

This trend of a small animal stopping recreation is going to continue unless we become proactive and work with the land managers instead of railing against them. In the mid 70 a damn was built on the Little Tennessee River somewhere around Tellico Plains by the US Corp of Engineers. In the creek that dam was to close there lived a small endangered darter, the Snail Darter to be exact. The closing of the dam was put on hold for 10 years by the federal court until the Corp was able to convince the court that they had successfully transplanted the Snail Darter to another location and it was doing well. If this transplant project had failed the dam would probably still no be closed.  The moral is the Endangered Species Act has huge fangs and we are not going to defeat it - nor do I think we want to, but we can work with the land managers to minimize our impact on the environment and enjoy our sport at the same time. That's a true win-win for everyone and every species.

Truman