Re: [RC] [Guest] beach closing to horses in ca.? - Barbara McCrary

I'd say it's pretty solid.  The snowy plover nesting is an issue here on the north coast of SC county.  The kite surfers wanted to hold a world championship on Waddell beach (which used to be open to horses), but the parks denied them a permit because of the plovers.  So they came to us to ask if they could hold the event on our beach property, which runs about for a mile or so south of Waddell Creek.  We could have said "yes", but the weird thing is that plovers haven't been nesting on park property, but on ours.  So if we say yes, then we're in trouble with the ESA, and if we say no, the kite surfers have nowhere to go.  This area is world class for the ideal wind and surf.  The parks are supposed to be there for "the people".  The parks are owned "by the people".  But "the people" cannot use a good many areas because there are species that are perceived to be endangered.  Many of these are here because man has created a habitat for them while going about his business.  Many of these are thought to be endangered, but no one really knows whether they were ever here in any number, or whether they just migrated here within the past 25 years and were never here historically.  Certain salmon are "endangered", but the truth is that scientists have never found any evidence that these fish were native here.  They were planted in the local streams for nearly 100 years, and when that  practice was stopped, the salmon population declined.  Are we surprised?  I sincerely hope for some semblance of sanity to return to our country on these issues.  It seems that we can be careful without closing down everything.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] beach closing to horses in ca.?

In a message dated 3/7/2003 10:09:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, ridecamp-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

There are rumors that the Ca. State parks  have closed beaches in Santa
Cruz  and now are wanting to close the few beaches left open to horses in
Monterey  too. All because of the Snowy Plover( small bird ) nesting there
... Dogs are already banned this I know.  Does anyone know if this  a solid
fact or just a rumor?

I don't know - but I for one am a little tired of closing areas fo what might be a well-intentioned preservation plan - just to see hundreds and thousands of homes, amlls, businesses, etc., go up drowning us ALL in traffic and ultimately having a much more deleterious effect on that same habitat and wildlife. In the end, if we don't stop propagating OURSELVES ad nauseum, it won't matter what they close.
JMHO
San ( who loves the critters and outdoors)