Re: [RC] re: Parkes proposal # 4 - Howard Bramhall

The problem with confidentiality is it will eliminate one of the best
sources of information about how the horse was ridden during the ride.  The
rider's statement should be a part of the package; if we must we could omit
the rider's name when published in Endurance News.  By not having a rider's
statement the full story of what happened at the ride will not be told.

Do we really need to protect the rider, with confidentiality, when it's the
horse we are trying to protect?  Do you think that the rider's name won't
get out there, via the underground rumor windmill, anyway?  It will; it has,
and it will continue to be.  The best protection for the rider is his/her
explanation of what happened.  Otherwise, someone else will write that part
of the story for them.  Which version of the truth would you rather read?

None of these statements should be voluntary.  They should be required, by
all involved, within a reasonable time (2 weeks to 30 days).  If the
statements are not provided there should be an automatic suspension from
participating in AERC rides to those who refuse to provide them.

This is a serious issue and needs to be dealt with in such a manner.  To
dance around it with lawyers leading the band does a disservice to the horse
and our organization.  Direct, open, and up front is the best course of
action here.  Get it all out in the open so we can proudly say to the world,
"We have nothing to hide."

cya,
Howard