Re: [RC] [RC] Horse won't drink water when offered - Jackie Winkleman

She said, "Oh, we cantered all the way here, so it's
been a while."

I have found (and maybe someone has already said this)
that when I slow down before I get to the water stop,
that my horse will drink (better, more, etc.).  If I
have been cantering her for a while, she won't drink,
and I have to stand there a while before she does.  I
know you don't always know when the water stops are
coming up, but if I see one ahead I go ahead and slow
down.  Works for my horse, may not for all.

I haven't gotten off to adjust the girth, etc., but I
certainly will try it at the next ride.  It makes a
lot of sense.  She might even think we are stopping
for a long while:)

--- DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 3/3/2003 9:00:29 AM Mountain
Standard Time,
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I agree with the original poster that if she has a
picky drinker, she should
make some effort to teach the horse to drink
before getting him into a
situation where the dehydration could cause him
problems.

    The last hundred we did, I remember riding up to
the first water tank on
the trail, about fifteen miles into the ride.
    At the water tank were two horses, with two
riders sitting atop their
horses telling them to "drink, dammit"...
    We eased up to the tank and my horse lowered his
head to drink, I jumped
off of him, loosened his cinch and did a tack
adjustment.
    One rider remarked, "Does he always drink like
that?"
    "Usually does...yup," I replied while checking
my tack.
    "Well, I bought this horses because my last
horse wouldn't drink, hardly
ever, so, I tried this horse out a few times and he
drank everytime we went
out.  So, I bought him and this is his first ride
with me and wouldn't you
know it, he won't drink, now, just like my last
horse...looks like I'll have
to sell him and buy another horse."
    I asked how long they'd been at the water tank.
    She said, "Oh, we cantered all the way here, so
it's been a while."
    "Oh," I said, "maybe if you really want him to
drink, you could get off
of him, loosen his cinch and when he's breathing
evens out, he might drink."
    "Oh no, we can't wait any longer, we're doing
the fifty and I don't want
to get any further behind," she replied, and turned
the horse up the trail,
loping down through the hills.
    Sometimes, horses who would otherwise "take care
of themselves" don't get
the chance due to "operator error."
    They pulled at twenty-five miles.
    He was a beautiful horse....I know 'cause I
watched him at the vet check
while his owner was stomping around saying, "How
long do we have to wait for
a trailer ride back to basecamp?"
    Still in a hurry to be done I guess.
    ----Frank