Re: [RC] [RC] Horse won't drink water when offered - Ed and Wendy Hauser

Horses can learn to drink, but it should not be at an end. ride.

Fieja, my older son's mare out of ND by Truck, apparently had never seen water in any form other than in a tank or bucket.  On her first trail ride she went 36 hours before getting up enough courage to drink from the creek.  After that she never was fussy again.

My first endurance horse, Sketer, always was OK until one hot day on the Camp Courage Wagon Train, he thought the water supplied by firemen at a small town smelled funny.  He would not drink.  It was 12 miles at 3.5 mph to the next water stop.  He was pretty dehydrated by that time.  He drank! and drank!  During the next 10 years he always drank, even if only a little, every time we found water on the trail or in camp.  Something had clicked in his horsey brain and he didn't want to dehydrate again.

Both of these incidents are much to dangerous to plan on, but do illustrate that horses can and do learn how to care for themselves.

Ed.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th Street
Hudson, WI 54016