[RC] horses to pasture in the winter - Mary Golden

I want to thank everyone for all the great discussion/ways they keep horses in the winter -- for those who are out practically 24/7.  I try to keep mine out as much as possible -- even overnight -- and I was glad to hear that the issue of frostbite isn't as big a thing as I thought it might be.  I'll be putting them out no matter what...even if my Arab mare Sable needs a turnout blanket.  But I do know of only one horse who has had frostbite in our region -- poor ear tips!   she was a yearling when it happened.

I am still battling with my one Arab mare Sable, though.  She has been in Northern New York 5 years, after spending the first 2 years of her life near Ocala, FL.  She just will *not* gorw a good, thick coat, no matter what.  I tried to encourage it this year -- but she spent about 2 weeks total under blankets when the temps dipped to -30.  Strangely enough, we had a -30 night last night,  she went without a blanket and she was not out in the barn shivering --- a first ever!

Now, if I could get some sort of natural shelter out there that they won't eat, I'd be all set (for my guys, trees=snacks)

Mary Golden
Northern New York