[RC] boarding horses - Mary Golden

I wasn't lucky enough to bring my horse home until just 3 years ago.  I love it --- and I hate it!

I boarded for years and had a heck of a time in this region finding a place I liked.  I was very concerned with the care and attention my hores got because I *was* gone quite a bit due to work.  I found a gal who took spectacular care of my guys -- and everyone else's horses that were boarded there.  The place was perfect except.....turnout was incredibly limited.  Horses were turned out a couple hours a days a few times a week.  I had to make a choice --- sacrifice turnout for my peace of mind (ie, if I was gone for an extended period of time and something happened to my horses, I knew the vet would be called, horses physically taken care of incredibly well) or go to a place where I wasn't sure if I would get the same close attention but get lots of turnout.  I did choose the first place.  The only thing I didn't like was the turnout situation.

Would I board again?  If I had to.  next month one of the horses is going 3 hours from here to go live with my mom for an undetermined amount of time (mom wants her own horse).  The horse will be baorded at a wonderful place where everyone is out all day (and even at night if you want), run in sheds, arenas indoor and out, trails.  It's a boarder's dream.  I know the gal (my mom's instructor) and I do trust her implicitly.

But I love that I have brought my horses home.  My Paint mare had never been in anything larger that a 200x200 paddock for turnout for her entire 12 years of life.  When she was turned out in her 15 acre pasture with her 4 buddies she ran herself sore the first day.  She didn't know what ot do with such space.  My  horses are out constantly.  When the weather is warm -- or at least not -30 -- they are out 24/7.

What I *don't* like about having them home -- mucking stalls at -30, unfreezing water buckets, trying to figure out how to get the darn generator started when we lose power in the middle of winter so I can water the horses.  Otherwise, there's nothing like looking out the winter and seeing my 5 out there munching or dozing contentedly.

Mary Golden
Northern New York