Re: [RC] Endurance riding/racing growing pains - Heidi Smith

>I think it was '98 when the WEC was scheduled to be in Ireland but the major sponsor pulled out and it was switched to the UAE.

>Money is a very important factor.

Yes, it was.  And AIR, the issue over which they pulled out was money--in particular, who would pay for additional security needed due to some of the unrest going on in Ireland at the time.  They had a corporate sponsor (Nissan, I think), but the corporate sponsor thought the Irish government should foot the bill for security, and the Irish government thought the corporate sponsor should do so.  So instead of going and riding under the watchful eye of the IRA, we rode just down the Gulf from Saddam.  Can't say as how I blame the UAE for wanting to have their Defense Minister's helicopter close to their Defense Minister, or for having the guards with machine guns checking people into the stadium for the awards cerremony...  And all that takes money as well as putting on the event.

Heidi